Wargaming Musings?

I'm a bit of a butterfly in terms of my attention and sticking to gaming projects long term isn't my strongest point. On the bright side, atleast I flit between the same things. Expect an ecclectic medley of Moderns, Dark Ages, Quar and Early Wild West, almost all in 28mm... (with some 1/48 moderns thrown in... )

Saturday 18 August 2012

20 questions...

These have been doing the rounds, and I've really enjoyed seeing other people's answers.... so here's my replies!

The questions:

1. Favourite Wargaming period and why?
I've had many favourites (Post apoc, Victorian/Colonial & moderns) - but I think the longest lasting and most encompassing must be Moderns (used in the lose, wargamer-ish, 1945-to today sense). I enjoy the varied and disparate aspects, and the often challenging gameplay factors associated with asymmetric warfare.  To someone (like me) who gets bored painting too many similar figures, militia and irregulars are a gift from the gods side of thing.  I guess, on a slightly more wishy-washy side of things, it also helps me better understand the historical social and political forces which have shaped the current state of affairs in the world.   I guess it's also a continuation in some ways of my child-hood of Action Man games, using a mix of kit from the original release and the 90's re-release...

2. Next period, money no object?
Tough one - I'd love more 1/48th Moderns, so money being no object I'd buy the HLBS range, re-master it and re-release it (which would then let me do both Modern Africa & Eastern-Europe). Assuming that's not an actual option, I'd love to either do a 28mm Eastern Europe setting (Chernarus, rescaled) or 28mm 'Cold-war gone hot' 

3. Favourite 5 films? (In no particular order - and I seem to have overshot 5.... whoops!)
Blood diamond
Wild geese
The Rocketeer
Romancing the stone & Jewel of the Nile
3:10 to Yuma (remake)
The Mummy
Stardust

4. Favourite 5 TV series? (Again, no-order)
Tailspin (pseduo 'pulp-era' kiddies cartoon series from my youth, but still something I fall back on whilst suffering from bad colds, etc)
New Tricks
Buffy/Angel
Firefly
Lark-rise to Candleford

5. Favourite book and author?
Wind in the Willows has to be my favourite book of all time.

In terms of a 'gaming related' book -  I'm not sure. Probably one of my Africa ones (Maybe Don't Let's go to the Dogs tonight. Rain Goddess, Dark of the Sun or Swordsong)

For Authors... Bernard Cornwell writes books which made me want to game the dark ages, so that's pretty good going, but Wilbur Smith's various stories have to be amongst the most listened to audio books in my collection.... I also know that I could pick up any Dan Abnett book (my 40k playing past manifests itself here) and know I'll thoroughly enjoy the read...

6. Greatest General? Can’t count yourself!!
Alfred the Great? He had many flaws, but he did turn the tide on the viking invasion...

7. Favourite Wargames rules?
Skank/Warlords of the Wasteland - available here: http://www.skankgame.com/
Probably the best quick, fun modern-sci fi rules out there...
I also really enjoy Chris Peers' "At Close Quarters", for Modern games

8. Favourite Sport and team?
Not really 'in' to sports - so I'm going to have to pass on this one.

9. If you had a only use once time machine, when and where would you go?
Hampshire, 495s, to see Cerdic & the people who would be come the West Saxons arrive in Britain.

10. Last meal on Death Row?
Hmmm - too many choices. Probably one of my Mums roasts - with Pork or Lamb with onion sauce. Barring that, maybe a Chinese or Indian buffet.

11. Fantasy relationship and why?
Emilia Peabody from Elizabeth Peters books..

12. If your life were a movie, who would play you?
Hmmm... not sure. /i asked the Missus, and she said a young Anthony Stewart Head.... so there you go then...!

13. Favourite Comic Superhero?
Not really into super-heroes... 

14. Favourite Military quote?
I'm struggling to think of a 'military' one offhand. A quote I appreciate, which is related to war gaming: 
“I needed a drink, I needed a lot of life insurance, I needed a vacation, I needed a home in the country. What I had was a coat, a hat and a gun." - Raymond Chandler, Fair-well my Lovely.

 15. Historical destination to visit?
Valsgarde or Vendel, to see the Migration period tombs

16. Biggest Wargaming regret?
Selling off some of my VSF figures a couple of years ago, only to re-start the Victorian period with EotD; or maybe starting my 36mm/1:48th collection 6 months after the range became OOP...! 

17. Favourite Fantasy job?
Full time/professional living history type/re-enactor. either that, or running my own figure company... 

18. Favourite Song Top 5?
Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner - Warren Zevon
Atlantic City - Bruce Springsteen
Downeaster Alexa - Billy Joel
Over the Hills & Far Away - Nightwish
Closing Time - Semisonic

19. Favourite Wargaming Moment?
Possibly taking out a Necron Monolith on the first turn of a 40K roadshow game, from maximum range, by rolling a very lucky glancing hit. Especially as it was featuring the newly pimped Necron army, and the Monolith had only been out for a month or two.  I even won a limited edition Dark Angel Marine Sgt (which I have only just sold).
That or a really close solo game, pulling a wounded helicopter pilot from (literally) under the machetes of a mob of angry locals. It was made even more ponient as I had the Black Hawk Down (another favourite film) soundtrack playing, and it had just reached the slow piece from when the Rangers have to jog back to the Pakistani Stadium. It was intense rolling those dice...!  

20. The miserable Git question, what upsets you?
Inauthentic Vikings/Saxons! Cold callers, and dangerous cycalists whilst driving

21. Favourite videogame (something I pinched from Arlequin's blog spot)?
Max Payne 1&2 have been replayed several times, as have Fallout 1, 2 & Tactics. Operation Flashpoint was great for it's time. Probably Vietcong & the add on-pack come top though. I haven't replayed them, as I don't want to spoil the experience! 
The 'best' moment in a game, atleast the most moving, was in Men of Valour, when your platoon leader is gunned down next to you, and you're powerless to prevent it. You and a few others manage to drag him back behind the M113, for him to slowly bleed out; all to the sound of 'On the Eve of Destruction'. The other great touch from that game was the fact that following your character's death, you were presented with the letter of consolation from your commanding officer to your parents, which was updated depending on the level you were on and the stage in that mission. 


The questions, if anyone wants to have a try (an idea blatantly ripped off from Brummie - thanks mate!):

1. Favourite Wargaming period and why?

2. Next period, money no object?
3. Favourite 5 films?
4. Favourite 5 TV series?
5. Favourite book and author?
6. Greatest General? Can’t count yourself!!
7. Favourite Wargames rules?
8. Favourite Sport and team?
9. If you had a only use once time machine, when and where would you go?
10. Last meal on Death Row?
11. Fantasy relationship and why?
12. If your life were a movie, who would play you?
13. Favourite Comic Superhero?
14. Favourite Military quote?
15. Historical destination to visit?
16. Biggest Wargaming regret?
17. Favourite Fantasy job?
18. Favourite Song Top 5?
19. Favourite Wargaming Moment?
20. The miserable Git question, what upsets you?

3 comments: